Verizon Rolls Out Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread Update for Xperia PLAY
Although Sony Ericsson tried to hype up its Xperia PLAY gaming smartphone before it goes on sale in United States, it appears that the device is not among the popular Android phones preferred by customers.
Nevertheless, Verizon Wireless and Sony have decided to improve the phone’s features and bring new capabilities to those already included.
The carrier has just announced the immediate availability of the Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread update for Xperia PLAY. The new software update version 4.0.2.E0.57 is pushed OTA (over the air) beginning today.
Keep in mind that while this update promises to add new capabilities to the Xperia PLAY, it also brings some bloatware into the mix.
The following applications and enhancements are included with the latest Android 2.3.4 update:
- Verizon Wireless Video on Demand now comes preloaded;
- Improved user experience and new delivery method of preloaded games;
- When connected via Bluetooth, the Music Player now supports Fast Forward and Rewind;
- VZ Navigator has been updated with the latest 3D map improvements.
Aside from bringing the operating system to version Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread, the update also adds a couple of new features:
- A long-press of the power button will successfully capture a screen shot;
- Charging issues forcing device to remain in landscape mode have been resolved;
- Recommended contacts now populate correctly when using the dialpad.
Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY’s 5-megapixel rear photo snapper with autofocus and LED flash has been improved with the following new capabilities:
- Right trigger successfully captures a picture;
- Record video in 720p with continuous auto-focus.
Last but not least, the device is now enabled with the Wireless Emergency Alerting System and the Mobile Hotspot ID broadcast can now be turned off to increase security. Some bug fixes might be included as well, but the carrier has yet to unveil any details on these.
Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread Update for Xperia PLAY - Verizon