Has broader hardware support and localization
The team behind VectorLinux announced yesterday the release of VectorLinux Standard Edition 6.0, codenamed Voyager. The default installation runs the Xfce 4.4.3 desktop environment, with an option to install the lightweight LXDE. For a more extended user-base, the localization was much improved in this version, covering many languages.
"With the unbridled enthusiasm of a community gone wild, we have forged our very own stable GUI installer and our repository now hosts over a thousand packages. VectorLinux is the fastest Linux desktop in its class. We have exceeded our original goals of VectorLinux 6.0 and produced a beautiful, full featured stable desktop for a rocket fueled experience.", was stated in
the official release announcement.
VectorLinux Standard Edition 6.0 highlights:
· Linux Kernel 188.8.131.52;
· NVIDIA and ATI Drivers;
· Bootsplash 3.1.6;
· ALSA Driver 1.0.19;
· X.org 7.3;
· Xorg-server 1.4.2;
· Qt 3.3.8b;
· Cairo 1.6.4;
· Out of the box DVD playback capability;
· Multimedia codecs and Java;
· Graphics with GIMP, Inkscape, Gtkam, Gqview, Xpdf;
· Internet browsing: Firefox, Opera, Dillo and Seamonkey;
· Instant Messaging: aMsn, Pidgin, Xchat;
· Multimedia Players: MPlayer, XMMS, Xine and VLC;
· Office applications: Gnumeric, Abiword, Scribus;
· Firewall protection with Firestarter;
· More webcam models are now supported.
Updated drivers and firmware bring an extended wireless networking support, using Wicd for managing wireless and wired connections. VectorLinux is also available in a paid Deluxe Edition, featuring the K Desktop Environment (KDE) version 4.2, E17, OpenOffice 3, Skype, Realplayer, Playonlinux and AssaultCube, along with special graphics and themes. This edition also provides users with 14 days of technical support.
"With all the improvements in installation, usability and hardware Support, we believe this release will finally give Vectorlinux the desktop recognition it deserves.", the developers concluded.
Download VectorLinux Standard Edition 6.0 right now from Softpedia.
Free Download - VectorLinux 6.0 2009