A new patch specifically targeting Mac
gamers has been released for Age of Empires III, the third installment
in the popular real-time-strategy (RTS) franchise, portraying the
colonization of the Americas by the Europeans.
The Mac version of Age of Empires III, released on November 21, 2006 in North America and on September 29, 2006 in Europe, was ported over to the Mac and developed by Destineer's MacSoft Games. It was published in tandem by Destineer and MacSoft Games.
Age of Empires III has made a number of innovations in the series, most notably the addition of the "Home City," which combines real-time strategy and role-playing game (RPG) features.
Since its launch in 2006, two expansion packs have been released for Age of Empires III - The WarChiefs (released on October 17, 2006), which introduced three Native American civilizations; and The Asian Dynasties (released on October 23, 2007), which included three Asian civilizations.
According to Destineer Games, Age of Empires III patch 1.0.6 will update all previous versions of Mac Age of Empires III to that version.
The updater is for the U.S. (ie, English) retail version of Age of Empires III only.
Gamers are to note that updates for expansion packs will need to be downloaded and applied separately.
According to Destineer, the following changes have been made to Age of Empires III for Mac OS X and Windows:
· Re-wrote the MP3 playback system in order to be compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.
· Increased the application’s base system requirement to Mac OS X 10.5.6 or later.
· The Mac build is now in sync with version 1.13 of the PC Age 3 software.
· Boat Particle Effects have been changed. This should result in better performance when using Navies (PC 1.13).
· Fixed more out-of-sync bugs (PC 1.13).
· Double Deck Exploit has been fixed (PC 1.13).
Download Age of Empires III for Mac OS X
Download Age of Empires III Version 1.0.6 for Mac OS X